Listen to our website with BrowseAloud
Visitors can now listen to the BLF website with BrowseAloud. This is free to all website visitors and can be easily downloaded from the BrowseAloud Website.
What is BrowseAloud?
BrowseAloud is a computer program that reads aloud all website content including PDF and MS Word documents. As you move the cursor over words, they are spoken aloud. BrowseAloud is free to the end user and makes using the Internet easier for people who have:
- Low literacy and reading skills
- English as a second language
- Mild visual impairments.
What does BrowseAloud look like?
You can access BrowseAloud features and options from an easy to use, floating toolbar (below). You can position this toolbar anywhere on your screen or hide from view, as you prefer.
What will BrowseAloud do for me?
- Reads these web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice
- Reads PDF and Word documents in their original format
- Highlights each word as it is spoken to show you where you are on the page
- Magnifies text to your chosen font size and font style
- Translates word-for-word between English and several European languages
- Looks up accurate dictionary definitions
- Converts text to MP3
- Masks information on the screen to help you focus on a particular area
You can also take a video tour which will assist you on how to use BrowseAloud, access the options and change the way BrowseAloud will read content aloud to you.
Read our press release - 7 April 2010
Download BrowseAloud from the BrowseAloud website