29 September 2011
The British Lung Foundation (BLF) is providing bursaries for respiratory physician ‘rising stars’ to attend important international conferences, where new research can be shared and collaborations can be formed. This activity is vital to ensure the continuation of cutting-edge research into respiratory diseases such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cystic fibrosis.
The award enables young physician researchers, who may otherwise not have the opportunity to attend such conferences, to present their latest work and to meet colleagues from around the world. It is a great opportunity to learn and understand more about these diseases which impact upon the lives of millions of people, and where there is still vital work to be done.
Speaking about the awards, Ian Jarrold, BLF Research Manager, said: “Supporting and nurturing junior respiratory clinical researchers is crucial to make sure lung research has a bright future in the UK. Our awards help up-and-coming UK lung researchers to travel to international research conferences, where they gain essential experience in presenting their work to peers and mentors and can discuss cutting edge developments in their field.”
Jarrold continued: “In the current economic climate, this type of support is becoming more and more valuable to help ensure younger respiratory clinical researchers get the vital opportunities and experience they need, which will see them grow into the breakthrough scientists of the future."
The BLF presented six educational awards, which were sponsored by Napp Pharmaceuticals Limited. They were presented to respiratory physician researchers from across the UK who had previously submitted their findings to an expert panel of judges. Winners will be able to attend and present their research at the European Respiratory Society (ERS) Congress taking place in Amsterdam at the end of September 2011.
- Ends -
-Notes to Editors-
• The British Lung Foundation is fighting to help the eight million people in the UK with lung disease. The charity provides support and information to improve the everyday lives of people with lung disease. We are also campaigning for better diagnosis, treatment and prevention for now, and the future
• It provides information via the website lunguk.org and telephone helpline 08458 50 50 20
• For further information please contact Patrick Pringle at the BLF on 0207 688 5616. For further information on Napp Pharmaceuticals Limited please contact Joella Webber at Packer Forbes Communications on 0207 036 8550, or
• Respiratory disease now kills one in five people in the UK1
• The UK’s death rate from respiratory disease is almost double the European average1
• Respiratory disease is the most commonly reported long term illness in children and the third most commonly reported in adults1
About Napp Pharmaceuticals Limited
Napp Pharmaceuticals Limited is a UK pharmaceutical company that is committed to long term support of the respiratory community through innovative approaches and investment in the support and education of healthcare professionals and patient groups working in this disease area.
1. Facts about respiratory disease. British Lung Foundation
http://lunguk.org/media-and-campaigning/media-centre/lung-stats-and-facts/factsaboutrespiratorydisease Accessed on 26 September 2011